Scroll Up

How to Give Your Kid the Best Start

August 14, 2020 3 min read

How to Give Your Kid the Best Start

 In the first 1,000 days, from the fertilization of the egg until the second birthday of the child, we pave the way for a healthy life. Here’s what you can do to improve their start.


A Perfect Start

The first 1,000 days: a magical time - filled with emotions, special moments, and, above all, opportunities! Because from the fertilization of the egg to the second birthday of the child, we pave the way for a healthy life. Take advantage of this!

During this period, a child is still in the process of developing and can be influenced. Nutrition, in particular, plays a decisive role here, because it forms the basis of healthy development - from the unborn child in the womb to infancy. Therefore, parents can set the right course from the beginning, to reduce the risks of certain diseases and allergies, and later, obesity and its related diseases.


What Can You Do?

Having a baby raises a lot of questions. Because no two kids are alike. Nevertheless, it is usually similar things that keep expectant or new parents busy. That's why we have collected the most frequently asked questions here and give you the answers:


Why are the first 1,000 days in a child's life particularly important?

Between fertilization and the second year of life, the child is more susceptible to external influences than ever before. This is why the foundation for their health can be laid here.


Isn't the health of a child purely a predisposition?

Current research results show that health development of a baby depends only about 20% on parental genes. The remaining 80% is influenced by external factors. This means that parents can positively influence their child's health by eating a healthy diet, abstaining from alcohol and smoking and avoiding stress, as well as exercise.


What should I consider as a pregnant woman?

"Eating for two" isn’t quite accurate. In fact, your additional requirement is only about 255 kcal per day. And that is the equivalent of just one slice of whole meal bread with butter. If you consume a lot more calories, this can lead to higher birth weight and increase the risk of being overweight in adulthood. However, pregnant women do need additional minerals. Here’s a chart of some of the most important minerals:


                                 not pregnant    pregnant

Vitamin A (Retinol)

0,8 mg

1,1 mg

+37 %

Vitamin B1

1,0 mg

1,2 mg

+20 %

Vitamin B6

1,2 mg

1,9 mg

+58 %

Vitamin B9 (Folate)

300,0 μg

550,0 μg

+83 %

Vitamin C

95,0 mg

105,0 mg

+10 %

Vitamin E

12,0 mg

13,0 mg


 Source: German Society for Nutrition


Why does infant milk contain less protein today than in the past?

There are studies that show that children who had infant milk with lower protein content in the first year of life were slimmer at six years of age and less likely to be overweight than children who drank milk with a lot of protein. This is why modern infant milk contains less protein than in the past.


Which additional nutrients promote healthy development?

If you eat a varied and balanced diet, you typically shouldn't need any additional nutrients. Iron is essential for your blood, calcium ensures healthy bones, zinc is good for growth and immune system and so is vitamin A.


Remember, in the end, happiness is also healthy! Don't stress too much about nutrients and exercise. The best thing a parent can give their child is time and love. 



Please be aware that this information is based on general trends in babies, and it is not medical advice. Your doctor should be your first source of information and advice when considering any changes to your child’s formula and when choosing your child’s formula. Always consult your pediatrician before making any decisions about your child’s diet or if you notice any changes in your child.

Breastfeeding is the best nutrition for your baby because breast milk provides your child with all the essential nutrients they need for growth and development. Please consult your pediatrician if your child requires supplemental feeding.

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Also in Organic Infant Nutrition and Health Blog

Baby Not Eating as Much Formula as Usual? Here's Why!
Baby Not Eating as Much Formula as Usual? Here's Why!

November 28, 2023 9 min read

Read More
Travelling with Baby Formula Powder | Organic's Best
Your Guide to Traveling with Baby Formula Powder

November 21, 2023 9 min read

Read More
Sensitive Baby Formula | Organic's Best
A Deep Dive into Sensitive Baby Formula

November 14, 2023 7 min read

Read More